Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Shades Of Life....

What’s in a person's color or complexion? This question might be one of the most clichéd topics ever, in any discussion or debate! Forget all that, I just wanna share my own views here :-) First of all, have no doubts, I am dark and I have no regrets about it (even if I did regret, wouldn’t make much of a difference would it? hehe ). I've released quite a few things as far as attitude towards 'looks' go. You hear people say that 'looks don’t matter', and its just 'how beautiful you are in your heart, that matters', and lotsa crap like that... I call it 'crap' cos only a handful actually mean what they really say in this regard. "Beauty is only skin deep", “It really doesn’t matter how you look", are all feel-good sentences, used most of the time, just to escape a tricky situation!

Do you think how you look, your complexion, and your features, just do not matter? I tend to disagree, mate. The first sign of attraction is always how you look. The inner beauty, your character, what you really are, and stuff come later! That’s the truth, so face it.. This holds true with 'first impressions' only, mind you. People, who already are your friends, will of course know you. It’s quite obvious that at any given point of time, lots of people are looking at you, and framing opinions, without even you knowing it. Some might be liking you, some might find you repulsive, and so on. These impressions are being formed, just based on how good/bad you look. People don’t know what kind of a person u are at heart, they don’t know your 'lovely character', but they can only see how u look from the outside, plain as that. It is your look, which will make people notice you and make them want to know you in the first place. It’s only after this, that they get to know the inner, 'real' you. And this might be where all the above mentioned 'quotes' hold true. Thus for the wise men’s sayings to make sense, a lot of things have to happen, as a precursor!

Let me share a very funny incident that happened, when I was 5 years old. My mom had just given birth to my brother, and he was this Fair, chubby veryyyyy sweeet baby. Like any small kid, I could not tolerate the attention that he was getting, from all the guests, and sometimes even my parents! Very natural, a baby needs much more attention, than a 5yr old. But how was I supposed to understand all that then? I used to ask my mom, why I was not 'white' like George (my brother's name). She used to pacify me with some answer which I don really remember ( cos I was not really intent on her reply, I was busy wondering how I could become 'white') One fine day, my parents realized that I was missing for an hour or so, and thus a search was launched, to find 'naughty' me. Everyone grew quite anxious when a few minutes of frantic searching did not yield any results. After sometime, my mom found an empty Talcum Powder tin lying on the ground. It was emptied to the last bit of powder! And she could see a small trail of white powder leading to a bedroom. When she opened it, there I was, standing at the corner of the room, all smiles! Yours truly had a 'sense of accomplishment' written in Bold, all over his face! I had applied the talcum powder, all over my body! I dint spare my eyes, legs, toes, ears.... I stood there with a barely visible smile, a genuinely innocent face, and slowly asked my mom these very words "Amma, now do I look like George?" Even now, my mom tells me she could see how much I really meant those words! That tells a story in itself doesn’t it? :-) I look back and laugh at all those memories! Truly fascinating, this mind of ours.

All said and done, its been a long 17 years since that happened and I have been through many experiences and situations in life! But all these had just one thing in common, and all my experiences taught me just one thing - to be really happy and proud, that I was 'ME'! If you don’t feel good about yourself, no point in living! How will someone feel good about you, when you yourself doubt the very person you have been all your life! I have no regrets whatsoever... How a person looks, is a totally individual and independent opinion. Someone might have a face that 100 people find 'not-so-interesting', but the same person and the same face, might be the reason why someone else wakes up everyday with a smile on his/her face! Life has a lot to offer, if we care to look around.... :-)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

John:) my 1st comment here...hope u remember me...shilpa from O3...
i really really loved this post...i was smiling thru it...and...well...let me take advtg of my anonymity n admit that i had tears in my eyes wen i read d 3rd para....that was really sweet....
my views on this....i agree looks r important but even a gal/guy wit avg looks can look stunning just bcoz of the facial expressions - dat intense look in d eyes, dat smile, d glow on the face...ther r many such factors wich make u look xtremely attractiv...all my crushes right from abhishek bachchan to ajay jadeja to sum other guys ;) have dark complexion...so dark color acc 2 me adds to the intense look on a person's face...
sorry 4 d lo....ng comment...but this is one topic we always discuss amongst frenz/cuzins...nice blog u hav here:)will keep visiting

johnny boy said...

Shilpa, Welcome to my blog :) Of course I do remember you... Feels nice, to know that u enjoyed reading the post. That was exactly what my intention was -> To bring a smile onto the reader's face :-)
I totally agree with you, in fact, thats my whole point. Irrespective of dark/fair, you can look attractive. The perception differs from person to person. But I was bringing out the general attitude of people, towards complexion, thats all :)
It was made so obvious, by the people around, that it got into the head of a 5yr old :)
BTW, 'some other guys' :-) hmmmm, interesting ... (jus kidddinggg) :-)
'Sorry for the long comment'? The longer, the better :-) Love to read everyone's views!

Anonymous said...

Johnny Boy....well well well..look who's here eh??? yes me finally leaving a comment on your blog...It made for a good read..When u started saying "Let me share a very funny incident that happened..." I knew what it was gonna be :)and though u have told me about this incident a time or two earlier...I still cant help but find it reaaallly cute!
It was a pleasure reading this post...keep up the good work!
Be good!

Anonymous said...

By the way that was me :)
-Mobi

johnny boy said...

@Mobi, Hehe, yeah finally!! :-) Thank you for your nice words!
"Be good"? Thats a lil difficult.. :-) lol, jus kiddin, I'am alwez good u see ... :-)

Ram Subramanian said...

Monne, dont tell me you still dont use Talcum powder :-). Anyway, i think you became darker playing cricket in the sun and practising underarm bowling.


By the way, u still have not answered my question..

Have you heard 'Black Dog' by Led Zeppelin

johnny boy said...

Rama, Dude I forgot to add that in the post, since then I've never used Talcum powder, I am allergic to it :-) I start sneezing...
I havent heard the song, but i have heard about it da... Never listened to any Led Zepplin song..

FlyingHigh said...

hehe...I am trying to imagine a 5 yr old doused in talcum powder. I think skin colour doesnt have anything to do with external beauty. Dont know when ppl will get rid of their prejudices as to 'fair' is beautiful. Just yesterday we were discussing about all these fairness cream products and their disgusting ads.People shud stop buying them. Like u said one needs to be proud of the way they are. :)

monu said...

even when i used to wear those huge glasses, i used to feel beautiful, now that i look back at those pictures , i know i looked as geeky as geeky could be...it is all in your own eyes..i always carried myself with confidence even if i wore huge glasses and didn't look close to aishwarya's distant cousin!...so atleast that much is true..that anyone is as beautiful as they imagine themselves to be........

and first impressions are nothing, when somebody likes you and really likes you, they just learn to look beyond the appearence....thats the case with true love i suppose..people suddenly start looking cute to u!

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

it isnt ony the color of skin but also the way u dress like portrayed in the afamous 'jassi jaisi...'i mean she was fair but she din carry herself with aplomb.
n dark guys were alwayz in - remember the tall,dark n handsome tag???

Ram Subramanian said...

I guess you did not want to respond to the sarcasm

" Have you heard Black Dog by Led Zeppelin .."

..fair enough

Good luck with your super selector .. the fun starts tomorrow.

Akruti said...

How i look matters to the world,how i feel matters to me,and gaveup thinking of the world long back:)
Thats what i felt when i was reading your post,maybe because i myself was rejected based on looks so manytimes:) and now i dont care for the rejections,i care and think and smile abt the people around me who love me for what i am:)

anumita said...

Right said dear boy! But I still disagree that it's looks that attract others. Haven't you ever met a goodlooking person with such a bad aura that you dont even want to bother with introductions? I think it's the charm, the personality that is more attractive always.

johnny boy said...

@Shradha -> I agree with you, in fact thats what me tryin to convey... :-)

@Monu -> Accepted, true love is beyond appearances... Thats when u get to know a person and u start liking him/her.... I am talkin about the stage before you actually talk and get to know the person.

johnny boy said...

@Swathi - Yes, how you dress up and the way you carry yourself around, has a big say!

@Akruthi - Actually, I was never talkin about rejections :) This is not a sad post!!! :) I was jus feelin happy and typing stuff with a smile on the face.... By the way, no one has the right to reject others, based on looks, i feel.. You are correct - Its how u feel about yourself, that matters

johnny boy said...

@Rama -> Its quite obvious isnt it :) What else do you want me to say huh?? :-)
Yeah very crucial few days for my SuperSelector challenge. Hope my team does well... 4th Test has got underway and its even stevens at this point i guess...

@Anumita - True, but i never said that all good lookin ppl attract :)
Charm and personality, are more attractive, i agree..

Vinay said...

is this the same john with whom i studied... :))

guess a lot has been happening in you life in the recent past.

johnny boy said...

Mr Vinay Deep !!! Of course, its the same person whom u studied with, and rode your bike with, for the last 4 years!! :))
Welcome to the blog world, nice to know that u have a blog too... Will be visiting!!

csy0182 said...

As they say "beauty is only skin deep"....

johnny boy said...

True Sanjiv... Beauty is only skin deep ... So is common sense, these days ;-)

Anonymous said...

jb,

awesome post:) i really really liked it.thinking of a 5yr old's sensibility was so touching.

my take is tht looks only strike us visually, in the initial times of seeing/knowing someone.after sometime,i think we get 'used' to how a person looks.there are many a persons whom i thot were gr8 lookers, and after sometime,they were just like anybody else.

attraction can happen with someone's looks, but sometimes it can be a case of a smile or some personal trait also.anything deeper, has to be and is beyond looks.

so many of us are guilty of making some judgement based on looks,but if we hold onto them steadfastly,thats bad.

once again, this was a gr8 post:)

Anonymous said...

Hey John... Cool Site yaar... Send the Blog to many ppl and Make it popular..

Keep up tyhe good work!!

and Hope we all have an outing soon so u can put it in ur Blog!

C ya! BBye

Anonymous said...

Nice blog da....
you write really really well.
Reminds me of a quote
"Everyone has beauty
but not everyone sees it."

Anonymous said...

u're so right.....i wish i could deny it...but uve written the very truth...apperances do matter and it is the way u look at it...ur blog brought tears to my eyes...i really appreciate ur writing skills,....the way ure able to make ppl like me emote to ur thought is just amusing....bravo!

Anonymous said...

tat was a reall sexy post! u've put it in jus da right way mann!

Unknown said...

A very good post... And your story is really interesting and touching.. I imagined the entire scene and the innocent way you might have said those words to your mother...
Can you please share some more posts like this..